The Game Changer

Philip is here and the whole world is different. I knew his arrival would change things, but it was  hard to imagine just how much. Already all my schedules and plans have been pushed aside. I know there are many important things going on in the world right now. But nothing can be more important for me at this time than taking care of my son and my wife.

Click the pic for the source. Thanks Chesca!

Click the pic for the source. Thanks Chesca!

Besides the obvious parental instincts kicking in and the overwhelming responsibility of taking care of this new life, I think one huge factor behind this shift in seeing the world is the fact that this 52 cm, almost 8 pound package is the next generation.

As I hold him, I find myself praying for him: for his present day health but also so much more – his physical and mental development, the hobbies and toys he’ll get into, his future friends and schools, etc. Because even though those events are years away, they are very present when I see him.

I naturally start praying for Carla and myself – for all the strength, grace, wisdom, and love that God can give us to parent this child correctly. “Lord, let me do right by this boy,” is something I keep saying over and over. I know that more than success in any other area of work or ministry, God will hold me accountable for Philip Nathaniel. That realization makes me pray more.

That is the effect of seeing the next generation. I realize now that, when my parents would discipline me as a child, they were talking to me in the present, but they were also seeing me in the future. That’s what drove the sometimes emotional conversations we had.

In the same way that I pray for a 3 day old’s future career and travels around the world, they saw my 3 year old or 13 year old (or 30 year old) foolishness as a direction that had to be corrected. It wasn’t just what happened in the present; it was about the next generation.

• I pray for all of us reading this that first of all, there was(is) a generation that went ahead of us that sees us as the next generation. Maybe it’s our parents, a relative, teacher, religious figure, coach, I don’t know. Maybe they drove us crazy, or still do. But they probably saw something of the next generation in us. They aren’t just disciplining us because of what’s happening in the present. They see in us so much hope and potential for the future; that’s why their responses seem out of proportion.
  • And all of us aren’t just the next generation to someone else. We are also charged with passing something on to a generation coming after us. The most significant impact our life will have will be the impact we have on the coming generations. Here’s a question that can guide us for daily decision making: Am I living a life that I would like to see passed on to the next generation?

Last night, I hugged my dad and told him, “When you lecture me, it can drive me crazy. But when I think about it, only you would care to say these things to me. Thanks Pop.”

Then when everyone was gone, I was holding Philip and I told him, “I love you, son. I’m probably gonna say and do things that drive you crazy the way your Tata does to me. But know this, it’s always because I love you so much.”

We are all someone’s next generation, and we are all going to pass whoever we are to the next generation.

Multiple generations.

Multiple generations.

***I’m posting it to stick to my M-W-F schedule, but I wrote it in between feedings and changings in the wee hours of the morning. I hope it makes sense. Hahaha!*

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

20 Comments

• Reply Alma Bonifacio January 20, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Well said (written) Joe. May your tribe increase. Congratulations to you and Carla! Philip Nathaniel has brought joy not only to you but to your parents as well.
    Proverbs 17:6

• Reply Joseph January 20, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Thank you, Tita Alma! And God’s blessings on you and your family as well!

• Reply Marie Eulema January 20, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Congratulations Joseph & Carla. A new journey in your life has begun. I was all together teary eyed and chuckling, when your Dad told the congregation at the 12 p.m. service how you recieved the “rod” when you were young. Pastor Joey raised a God fearing son and he did raised you well. I believe you will do the same to Philipp, your first born son. God bless you and Carla more!

• Reply Kevin Sanders January 20, 2014 at 10:52 pm

My wife has been showing me your pictures of the baby over the past few days. Congrats!

• Reply Joseph January 21, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Hahaha! Thanks

• Reply AJ January 20, 2014 at 11:25 pm

hi! congrats po!
    Btw.. Mrs. Carla might be interested with this group I am also a member of, its BREASTFEEDING PINAYS Group in facebook.
    Very Very much informative especially for first time moms 🙂

congratulations again!

• Reply Joseph January 21, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Thanks for the suggestion! I mentioned it to her earlier and she said she joined already. Great minds think alike! 😉

• Reply chinkee tan January 21, 2014 at 8:47 am

congrats Jo! Am proud of you and carla. God bless ur new addition in ur family. How time flies!

• Reply Joseph January 21, 2014 at 1:29 pm

I know! Thank you, thank you Tito Chinkee!

• Reply Mikaela Zoe January 21, 2014 at 9:56 am

Hi Ptr. Joe, congratulations to you and Ate Carla and also thank you for sharing this.

PS. Nickname suggestion: Mum said “PNat”. Hihi. 🙂

• Reply Joseph January 21, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Hahaha! That’s funny, Pinoys have the best nicknames talaga.

• Reply Richard Villaseran January 21, 2014 at 11:13 am

This made a lot of sense Pastor Joseph! Amazing journey ahead of you. I miss your exhortations in Alabang! God bless to you and Rica/Carla. Your wife and child is surely blessed to have you.

• Reply Joseph January 21, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Thank you po! We receive and claim those blessings nga. God bless you and your children too!

• Reply Carol Lozano January 21, 2014 at 7:20 pm

So very proud of you, Jo! And very excited for you and Carla! It’s going to be an amazing adventure… Enjoy every minute of it! Love you, guys!!!

• Reply Joseph January 22, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Thanks Tita Carol! Can’t wait to watch Philip interact with your family! 🙂

• Reply Lynne Estrella January 21, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Congrats to the both of you, You will be the best father to your son.

• Reply Joseph January 22, 2014 at 6:01 pm

• Reply Lizadel Bajamunde January 22, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Congrats Ms. Rica for a cute baby. God Bless always

• Reply Edna Cortez January 22, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Im so touched (T.T) God bless your family

• Reply Angela Love January 22, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Congratulations pastor Joe and madam Rica Pera-Boni! 🙂 Such a wonderful child and an overwhelming blessing! Ang saya basahin po nitong blog niyo pastor, and very touching. I feel the same way din po as of now kasi mom na din ako, and I still remember yung mga pangaral sa akin ng parents ko dati which in fact drove me crazy as I thought na nonsense yung mga yun. But now, thankful ako sa kanila because they made me this, a good mom to my beautiful daughter. 🙂 This blogg however made me miss my parents, I want to hug them badly din. Haha. Hope to meet you soon pastor Joe and mam Rica, and baby Philip Nathaniel. Be healthy baby!

• Would love to hear from you!